HEALTHMATTERSBack to HealthMatters main
Parmesan rice and pasta pilaf
Makes 6 servings.
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup finely broken vermicelli, uncooked
2 tablespoons diced onion
1 cup long-grain white rice, uncooked
1 1/4 cup hot chicken broth
1 1/4 cup hot water
1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
1 bay leaf
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large sauté pan, heat oil.
- Sauté vermicelli and onion until golden brown, about 2 to 4 minutes over medium-high heat. Drain off oil.
- Add rice, broth, water, pepper and bay leaf. Cover and simmer 15 to 20 minutes.
- Fluff with fork. Cover and let stand 5 to 20 minutes. Remove bay leaf.
- Sprinkle with cheese and serve immediately.
Serving size: 2/3 cup. Amount per serving: 208 calories, 6g total fat (1g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 140mg sodium.
Source: National Institutes of Health