HEALTHMATTERSBack to HealthMatters main
Quick eight-vegetable soup
Makes 4 servings.
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 onion, chopped
4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
1/2 cup frozen baby lima beans
1 can (15 ounces) no-salt-added black, Great Northern or navy beans
1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
1/2 cup frozen tri-colored bell peppers
2 teaspoons dried oregano or thyme
Pinch of dried red pepper flakes
1 cup frozen broccoli florets
Salt, to taste
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, and cook until translucent, 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add broth, and bring liquid to boil.
- Add lima beans; reduce heat; and simmer, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Add canned beans, mixed vegetables, peppers, oregano (or thyme) and pepper flakes, and simmer, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Add broccoli, cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add salt to taste.
- To serve, divide soup among deep bowls.
- Top each serving with 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese, or pass it separately at table.
This soup keeps, covered in refrigerator, for 3 days. Reheat in covered pot over medium heat.
Serving size: 1 1/3 cups. Amount per serving: 250 calories, 8g total fat (2g saturated fat), 32g carbohydrates, 10g protein, 9g dietary fiber, 410mg sodium.