HEALTHMATTERSBack to HealthMatters main
Find your favorite lettuce
Whether in salads, sandwiches, wraps or pita pockets, lettuce adds flavor and nutrients without a lot of calories. But not all lettuces are the same. Different varieties offer diverse textures and tastes.
Try a new lettuce
Butter, also called Bibb or Boston lettuce. The mild flavor and bright-green colors make a winning combo!
Romaine. It’s crisp, crunchy, sweet and good for more than Caesar salads. Plus, dark lettuces are rich in nutrients.
Red leaf. This full-flavored, headless lettuce adds a splash of color and vitamins to boot.
Iceberg. A crisp classic that goes well with almost any salad ingredient.
Sources: Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics; American Institute for Cancer Research; Produce for Better Health Foundation
Impress your dinner guests with a great-tasting salad. Check out our video to learn how.
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. "Different Kinds of Lettuces and Greens." https://www.eatright.org/food/food-groups/vegetables/different-kinds-of-lettuces-and-greens.
- American Institute for Cancer Research. "I’ve heard that lettuce varieties have different nutritional value and some aren’t worth eating. Is that true?" https://www.aicr.org/resources/blog/health-talk-ive-heard-that-lettuce-varieties-have-different-nutritional-value-and-some-arent-worth-eating-is-that-true
- Produce for Better Health Foundation. "Butter Lettuce." https://fruitsandveggies.org/fruits-and-veggies/butter-lettuce.
- Produce for Better Health Foundation. "Leaf Lettuce." https://fruitsandveggies.org/fruits-and-veggies/leaf-lettuce.
- Produce for Better Health Foundation. "Red Leaf Lettuce." https://fruitsandveggies.org/fruits-and-veggies/red-leaf-lettuce-nutrition-selection-storage.
- Produce for Better Health Foundation. "Spring Greens." https://fruitsandveggies.org/stories/iv-for-050410-jennifer-shea/#:~:text=STORIES-,Spring%20Greens,-ADD%20TO%20LIST.